Career OpportunitiesView Available Positions
We're accepting applications for our 2019 Summer Internship Program!
Animal Health Summer Internship Program
Type: Full-time, Term position (Summer)
Location: Lowville, New York
Responsibilities and Accountability
- This position involves working in the field on commercial dairies, in outdoor working conditions.
- Support the efforts of Consultant Assistants (CA) and Research Project Managers (RPM), including prosection of carcasses for digital necropsies, making deliveries, and assistance on research trials.
- Animal health tasks, such as administration of injections and sample collection to dairy cattle.
- Recording and monitoring data for routine on-farm activities, including the milking and feeding routines.
- Project-based work when in the office, potentially including working with large datasets and performance of analytic procedures.
- Assist consultants with daily monitoring of health and performance at client dairies.
- Work alongside other personnel, as needed.
Opportunities for Training
- Research project design and trial implementation.
- Prosection of dairy cattle for digital necropsies.
- Improved understanding of dairy health, reproduction and production.
- Training in other areas as needed by Dairy Health Consultants
- Project-based work in the office includes learning opportunities.
Experience, Education and Other Requirements
- Undergraduate Animal Science, Veterinary or Animal Health Technology student (however, recent graduate AHTs and others will be considered).
- Interest in and experience working with dairy cattle.
- Experience with computer software in a Windows environment, including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, is an asset, but not required.
- Experience with relational databases (MS Access, SQL Server, etc.) and business intelligence/analytics software is not required but beneficial.
- Spanish language skills are an asset.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and occasional weekend days.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive short-to-medium distances.
Terms of Employment
- Full time, summer term position.
- Work vehicle (or mileage reimbursement) and equipment is provided.
- Hours of work are generally 8 hour days Monday through Friday, but occasional weekend work or hours outside of normal business hours may be scheduled in advance.